init.rc is in the ramdisk image, a disposable copy of which becomes
the root filesystem onto which /system, /data, etc are mounted.  You
have to learn how to modify that (sequence of cpio commands one can
never remember) and repackage it with the kernel. Rebuilding the whole
android is likely wasting your time unless the build system is
extremely sophisticated to do only what is needed.

How sure is the OP that the process is not working?  When you call
fork, one half is going to exit, the other half theoretically will
not.  If you check with ps, is it still there?