write a simple driver for the hw you have on the beagleboard, say a keypad
or just something to dump data over serial port. if your kernel already has
a driver for it great, you will have a ref to compare your work with once
you are done or get stuck. :)

As a person new to linux driver development, read
http://lwn.net/Kernel/LDD3/ atleast once.

Then read specifications for the hardware you want to write the driver for,
figure out what it does and how it does and what would be the role of the
driver, what would it need to do. If the hardware you choose to work with
can support interrupt and poll mode, go with polling initially and get the
basic stuff to work. Then add interrupt support and other nice to have
features. :)

Only advice I can give you is do not start writing driver for a fancy hw,
that should not be your aim for the first run. Write a driver for something
that is easy to control and has minimum stuff that you can do wrong in the
driver . Your main aim at this point should be able to write something,
build and make it run in the kernel in a way it does not crash itself or
anything else and works as well ! Once you have that, you can always move
onto more complicated stuff.