On Jan 4, 9:06 pm, Srikant <w.sreeka...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I agree with you, if the requirement is porting to a new h/w platform.
>
> But the requirement here is to just porting to a new Linux Kernel
> version, hence it may not be required to do assembly level debugging.

I'm not sure that it isn't quite comparable to porting to a new
platform.

You've either got to figure out what the thing that usually runs
before the kernel does in the way of setup and duplicate that in the
kexec code so that a stock kernel will start up correctly, or you've
got to modify the kernel startup code to work forward from the
configuration in effect at the time kexec under the old kernel hands
over to it.

You know the kernel should work once the low level startup/handoff is
properly accomplished - the work to be done is figuring out that low
level part.  Which I think is probably a lot like porting.