"Recovery"in term of android, there is complete set of code given in android
source( bootable/recovery/*  code , just go through it, it is very basic
simple "C" code .

Recovery code will work as your rootfs for making recovery image. and that
image u need to write in a partition. which will be a combination or zImage
and recovery c code as rootfs.
and if you  want to do any recovery stuff, boot this image instead of normal
android kernel.