Hello all,

I just discovered ansible recently and I can't seem to find any
documentation on accessing data similar to puppet hiera. My project
currently builds a vagrant development box using puppet based on a bunch of
configuration in yaml.

Here is a sample yaml
file:
https://github.com/protobox/protobox/blob/master/data/vagrant/common.yaml-dist

The goal would be to use a similar yaml file to dynamically install apache,
nginx, php, add virtualhosts, etc. With puppet I can use hiera to easily
lookup if nginx exists in the config and loop through and run the necessary
code.

I am kind of at a loss as to how this could possibly work in ansible.

Also, some generic pysodocode:

if $nginx_yaml['install'] == 1 {
   $nginx_yaml['virtualhosts'].each |host| {
      # add virtualhost for each host
   }
}

In ansible I checked out loops and conditionals so would it be something
like:

- name: "install virtualhosts"
  command: /bin/cp something {{ item.name }}
  with_items: external_data['virtualhosts']
  when: external_data['install'] == 1

Thanks for any advice, I love the thought of using ansible and everything
it stands for!