To avoid confusing the list, I'll clarify.

So in this case you're asking about running Ansible from Windows hosts
against Linux hosts.

This is not talking about using Ansible to configure Windows hosts (future
roadmap feature) and absolutely we are not going to ask anyone to install
sshd on a Windows box if we do that.

Chef and Puppet discussions are totally off topic for this list -- we don't
want to start flamewars and this is the Ansible list -- but the easiest
answer seems quite easiest.

Just install a Linux VM and run the automation from there.

You need not necessarily use Vagrant.

Also, Macs, they are a good thing!  :)

On Mon, Dec 9, 2013 at 9:51 AM, Taylor Brown <tay...@taytay.com> wrote:

> Using Vagrant to spin up dev environments promises to end many of our
> cross-platform server-side development issues once and for all. When
> deciding how to provision my vagrant boxes, I considered Chef, Puppet, and
> Ansible. I settled on Ansible for reasons that are obvious to this group's
> readers. :) After getting my Vagrant-based Postgres box provisioned with
> Ansible, I realized that I ironically painted us into another
> cross-platform corner once again! My Windows devs won't be able to use the
> Ansible provisioner at all. At this point, I can either package my Vagrant
> .boxes and ship them to the Windows devs, or I can try to get them to install
> Cygwin and other
> dependencies<http://dhorbach.blogspot.com.ar/2013/08/working-with-ansible-in-eclipse-and.html>and
>  hope for the best.
>
> So, I guess this post has two purposes:
> 1) to throw another vote towards using Ansible from Windows hosts
> (specifically for Vagrant)
> 2) To ask what other folks have done with my predicament? I'm guessing
> folks use Chef or Puppet for cross platform provisioning of Vagrant boxes?
>
> Taylor

Michael DeHaan <mich...@ansibleworks.com>
CTO, AnsibleWorks, Inc.
http://www.ansibleworks.com/