Not sure what is going on with pip in your case, but there's nothing in
Ansible's pip configuration that running it 8 vs 9 times would change :)

Ansible 1.4 is quite old though and there have been security updates in the
1.5 series, you should take the time to fix variable issues for sure so you
can be running the latest.

I'd probably recommend yum or apt as an install source if you want the
easiest way to manage packages.