How do you always have a set of tasks run regardless of the tag being passed in
on the command line?

I'm getting to the point where I have a 'core' playbook that must be run before
any other playbook I have.  This does specific things such as set specific
facts based upon my local environments or OS distro that are to be used by all
my later roles.   However, when I use '-tags do_this' or '-tags do_that'
tasks/roles executed in my core playbook are ignored because they aren't tagged
with 'do_this' or 'do_that.'

It doesn't seem reasonable (or scalable) to me to modify my core playbook and
add every possible tag I can ever use, nor does it seem reasonable to force my
fellow admins to always run Ansible with '-tags core,do_this' or '-tags core,
do_that' when they only want a particular tag to be executed.

It really feels to me that Ansible is missing some way to say  'this
task/role/whatever REQUIRES this other code to be run as well'.

It seems I'm not alone in this - there's some calls for similar functionality
here:
* https://github.com/ansible/ansible/issues/3157
* https://github.com/ansible/ansible/pull/7039

So what should I be doing here?