I just ran into this same issue.  As alluded to above, adding this line to
my inventory resolved the issue.

localhost ansible_connection=local

In my case, I was passing an explicit user and private-key on the command
line which were not set up on my machine.  Should there be a note added to
this module about the situation of trying to SSH to the local machine?  I
like how this module is trying to hide some of the complexity of it
actually being a local command run but delegated to localhost but this
ended up being a difficult thing to troubleshoot.