i would guess it's an ordering thing.  the play prior to the failed one you
are templating your .my.cnf.  if that template is also using {{
mysql_root_password }} then you have locked yourself out of mysql by
updating your .my.cnf with the new password prior to changing it.  put the
correct current password in your .my.cnf, then move that template to
_after_ where you call mysql_user to update your password.

matt