Same issue with 1.7.2,
I have worked around the ControlPersist issue by installing a openssh6
client on my control host, it helps a lot.

The issue I had mentioned earlier is actually due to ansible vault,

with a set of encrypted vault files:

Nov 11 10:46:22 GATHERING FACTS
Nov 11 10:48:15 ok: [box1]
Nov 11 10:48:17 ok: [box2]
Nov 11 *10:48:17* ok: [box3]
Nov 11 *10:51:49*
Nov 11 10:51:49 TASK: [mytask] ********************

after decrypting all my vault files:

Nov 11 10:58:52 GATHERING FACTS
Nov 11 10:59:00 ok: [box1]
Nov 11 10:59:00 ok: [box2]
Nov 11 *10:59:00* ok: [box3]
Nov 11 *10:59:13*
Nov 11 10:59:13 TASK: [mytask] ********************

we have a set of encrypted files, around 10 or so, so that we can manage
change with git a little bit better.
However each file takes some time to decrypt and increases ansible run time
(the extra 1m30s is quite a lot for us).
Will look into an alternative to vault.