I added a note to the add_host docs about this and posted a pull request,
but it was rejected on the basis that:

   - add_host is non persistent, it only adds hosts to the in memory
   inventory for the current run, also it bypasses the host loop so it does
   NOT run on multiple hosts. Due to it's nature it makes little sense to run
   other than on the master.

which all makes sense, but I think then that a note in the docs to indicate
*that* would be helpful!   How are we to know, otherwise?  More information
is always good.

It's not just when running on multiple hosts that there's a problem, by the
way: it also doesn't work if you use local_action or delegate to localhost
when the target for the play includes multiple hosts.

Just my tuppence-worth.