"That's a common logical error that I've come across too. Tags aren't
called, they are only applied in playbooks, someone might be able to word
that better."

Unless I didn't follow, I don't think that was the above misunderstanding,
but it is true that the include directive "labels" things with tags.  It's
just not true you can label tags when you do a playbook include.

(It is true that including doesn't select things with certain tags, as well)

I agree -- Google is rough at search for everything but Google.com -- Gmail
also, grr :)