Thanks Brian. I roughly binary searched and the behavior seems to have
broken between Ansible code versions v1.9.4-1 and  v2.0.0-0.1.alpha1.

Before, --list-tasks would show individual tasks and no 'meta' tasks.  At
2.0, it just shows a shorter list of meta tasks, which breaks
--start-at-task.

Unfortunately, that range is pretty big:

ansible  (2df6513f8d802a931e0fa88afa6dc019ba4bd6e6) 14091 $ git log
--pretty=oneline v1.9.4-1..v2.0.0-0.1.alpha1 | wc -l

*2336*

Over two thousand commits.  I'll try to bin search it, since it's a huge
pain for me to debug large Ansible runs without --start-at-task.

Brian, how should I report this to increase the chance that it gets
acknowledged?  It's known broken since Jul 21:
https://github.com/ansible/ansible/issues/11692

... but I can't reopen that bug.  Should I report a new bug and link to the
closed one, or can you reopen it?

Thanks,
Brandon