Fighter bombers leave US base - Ananova
=============================

Ten US Air Force fighter jets have taken off from Lakenheath airbase in
Suffolk.

Witnesses say the planes were F15s and included a number of F15 Strike Eagle
fighter-bombers.

The planes began leaving the base at around 2pm.

Witnesses say the planes were armed with missiles and left in a series of
small groups.

A spokesman for the base - the biggest USAF installation in Europe - would
not discuss whether Lakenheath planes were being called upon to fly to the
Middle East as part of the build up of US forces.

He said he could not discuss operational details.

The planes were not accompanied by transport aircraft.

Fighter-bombers from Lakenheath were used in the American attack on Libya 15
years ago.

The base has been on high alert since the atrocities in New York and
Washington last week.

http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_403759.html