On Sun, 04 May 2008 16:10:31 -0700, pyther <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

* Attila <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On Sonntag, 4. Mai 2008 12:47 Tino Reichardt wrote:

> If they don't have the time to be a maintainer for some package, they
> shouldn't be the maintainer of it!

For me this is definitely too hard. And unfair because archlinux is a
distribution (as a lot of other too) which is managed by private individual
for private individual.

The devs of archlinux gives us with abs a perfect and easy understandable way to make in the most cases updates at the time we wants it. Irony on: That is
why other distros with another package magagment needs fulltime
maintaining.-)

And to the argument of that clamav is a "security update": This is only
relevant for servers which have windows clients and in this case, sorry, this is at first the job of the admin of the server and "opps" this be you and not
the maintainer of a package.

It isn't to hard. Its just the plain truth.

If the maintainer hasn't the time, he should give the package to someone
else, which has the time.

PS: I am not an admin of some important server which needs an update ;)

--
regards, TR

What if there are no other devs/maintainer? Maintainers have to be trusted, have to prove that they know what their
doing etc...

I wouldn't want someone random person from the community becoming a maintainer for a package or two, because you don't know what he or she knows. I wouldn't want to install a pkg that wipes out my whole /usr dir by mistake.

Also if security is a big concern arch isn't probably the best distro to be using.

This is my criticism in the Archlinux Leadership. I think there must some changes, I will not shot Aaron, I mean Aaron needs some help in form from a Lead Engineer for "community/AUR" and for "development" how can organize this. Many User like to help but can't because the developer sitting like a chicken on his eggs (packages), with no response. Now I will spam this topic here, http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=48092