Angela, I believe that the Node version is the problem. I encountered this
just last week, and had also run the xenial setup script, so I thought I
would be fine. I got the same node version warning as you and when I
upgraded (after which I must have reinstalled yarn but don't recall)
everything worked fine.

Hopefully a member of the Farallon team can address this, because it does
look like legacy node was deliberately chosen:
https://github.com/archesproject/arches/blob/master/arches/install/ubuntu_xenial_setup.sh#L45
(and has been chosen from the start:
https://github.com/archesproject/arches/blame/379a5859a3abf8720fc84f6391280ef639947f88/arches/install/ubuntu_xenial_setup.sh#L6
).