Vincent, I'd say you have pin-pointed exactly what you need to do to make
this happen: within get_related_resources() get the image path for each
resource, and pass that to the frontend to be placed in the related
resource graph.

A long time ago we did some work on the FPAN project which would accomplish
the most complex part of this (getting the image path) the result of that
work is in a pull request which has languished for a long time
https://github.com/archesproject/arches/pull/2845. The idea was to make a
method on the Resource() class to which a node name would be passed, and
the corresponding tile values for that resource's nodes would be returned.
We only needed to develop it to handle concepts and strings at the time, so
we have it in use here:
https://github.com/legiongis/arches/blob/fpan_master/arches/app/models/resource.py#L343.
I see many many uses for a function like that (like yours), and just have
not been able to pick the PR up since we did the initial attempts at
getting it updated per the Farallon team's request.

As for the node name, your quickest option would be to a make a new entry
in settings.py that would join a resource model with the name of its node
that holds the image you want, but a more robust way would be something
like incorporating this into the system settings graph, etc.

Good luck!
Adam