Ok! glad things are working out now, even if we don't fully understand why!
I'm not sure why upgrading pip before you are in the virtual env would make
a difference (as you can see in my example I did it within the virtualenv
after it was created and activated), but if it works it works.

Martha, as to renaming environments and projects: I would conservatively
just say no to both.

I believe that environments can't be renamed because there are references
within the directory itself to it's name. Further, it's really good to
treat them as disposable, so I'd recommend never holding any specific
virtual environment dear. You should be able to delete and replicate one
anytime you need, and you really should need to edit anything inside them
either. You can use pip freeze to list out what libraries are installed in
a virtual environment, and this can be useful if you have installed
libraries and need to install the exact same versions into another.

As for projects, again I would say no just from a best practices point of
view. The name of a project's top directory actually has no bearing on the
app, so technically you can rename that if you want. However, the name of
the second directory (my_project/my_project) is used (I believe) for the
setting APP_NAME which is important throughout the app: it is used in the
actual postgres database name that your project uses, and there are python
import statements that have that directory name.

Adam