Hi Martha, thanks for the detailed information.

Good note about the PACKAGE_ROOT setting. That must be a holdover from v3
settings which was never updated in those docs.

I think most of the other things you mention stem from the STATIC_ROOT
setting. That is the only thing that determines where Django places the
directory and static files--if it is trying to create a directory where you
aren't expecting it, then the setting has not been set properly. I'd
recommend reading over our Settings Beyond the UI
<https://arches.readthedocs.io/en/stable/settings-beyond-the-ui/> docs to
make sure you have a clear understanding of the inheritance patterns, and
it's always good to checkout django's docs
<https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/2.2/ref/settings/#static-files> too.

I didn't actually know that STATIC_ROOT is set in Arches projects by
default, and I can't think of a good reason for it to be set within
/var/www.... doing so requires that you do extra file-system permissions
(with chmod/chown). I usually put mine in a directory alongside the
project, or within the project as is shown in those docs.

As for permissions, if STATIC_ROOT is a directory inside of my_project,
then whichever user you used to create the project should also have no
problem running collectstatic. Indeed, as you point out, /var (and all
other directories) have more restrictive permissions by default, which is
why in the example I put STATIC_ROOT in the project. I didn't realize,
however, that collectstatic makes the directory for you, so that is great
to know.

Adam