On 19 July 2016 at 17:47, j arl <joe.britton....@gmail.com> wrote:

> Greg, Others, Thinking about using SFP+ on new hardware (Sayma,
> Metlino). If SFP+ is backward compatible with SFP, m-labs could
> attempt DRTIO using SFP+ transceivers and fall back to
> WhiteRabbit-approved SFP as backup [1]. Please confirm the following.
>
> SFP+ supports higher bandwidth (16 Gb/s) than does SFP (4.25 Gb/s)

Yes

> SFP+ is mechanically backward compatible with SFP. That is, SFP
> transceivers can be plugged into SFP+ cages and fit properly. [0]

yes, The only difference between SFP and SFP+ is that SFP+ have I2C
interface while SFP mode is selected by MODDEF pins. Once you connect these
MODDEF pin to the FPGA, it doesn't matter if you plug SFP or SFP+
But in most cases you don't have to use this interface and simply leave
pullups.
I2C is useful in case of multi-speed SFPs or when you need to detect
certain transceiver type - each SFP has small EEPROM inside.

> SFP+ is electrically backward compatible with SFP. That is, SFP
> transceivers can be plugged into SFP+ cages and work properly.

yes