In a message dated 11/2/2004 2:27:08 PM Eastern Standard Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
I assume you do not
suggest that the outsourcing of jobs to foreign lands (whether right
or wrong) is not of concern to americans.
There needs to be a clear distinction between outsourcing and having self-sustaining operations in foreign markets.

As someone who works full-time on educating people about the exploitation that occurs in the production plants where most of our clothes and shoes are made overseas, I think I can offer some fairly competent commentary on the issue of outsourcing.

If a company makes a product, (ex. sneakers) in foreign production plants and then imports those products to the USA for domestic consumption, one would say they are outsourcing the labor to produce a product that will be consumed here.

But, if a company produces a product in a foreign market and then sells that product in that foreign market, they are not outsourcing, they are simply inserting themselves into that particular market for both production and sales.

I am not sure of the operations of the Heinz company, but given the fact that their product is perishable, my guess is that ketchup being sold here is made here and ketchup being made in their plants in Europe is being sold in Europe and ketchup being made in Asia is being sold in Asia.  I could be wrong, I am only attempting an educated guess.

I hope I have made the distinction clear.  If I haven't, let me know.

Peace, Jim Keady

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

Get unlimited calls to

U.S./Canada