Jack - my experience Friday night vs Saturday night was intersting.
Friday night in AP - pretty quite - dinner at Harrys - and the
streets were pretty quite.

Saturday night - 4 of us were heading to Bistro O - since we had to
wait - we walked cookman and went into every shop that was open -
except Robert Legre because no one wanted to walk down past the the
Steinbach building - still boarded up and is currently a mjor portion
of what is plauging the downtown. Then again, so is the south side.

The new stores wre all lit up and the cheese and crackers etc were
all a nice touch.

However, I did hear someone ask one shop owner when he was open
next  - "..next friday night". Then he proceeded to say "if more
people were here, we'd be open more..." It's a tough choice to go
somewhere to shop, not knowing if all places are open etc.

Then lets go onto another point.. "..CASH FOR GUNS" proudly displayed
on Main Street. Perhaps that would of made a better statement off
Main for First Night. Kind of serves as a reminder of problems that
exist , for real. Driving home, 3 police cars had someone against a
wall....
Then this am, an apparent drug bust on Asbury and Grand as I drove
down grand  - 3 cars and one guy tossing a plastic bag....

Just has to be cleaned up. A long, slow, process.

COnstrcution HAS to continue downtown so that people will come and
prices have to be a bit more realistic to get those to jump.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Q7_YsB/neXJAA/yQLSAA/Y2tolB/TM