Legacy and Result of the Actions of VVAW
The reason that "generation of veterans [was] spit upon, shamed,
and
discriminated against" is the direct result of government run
amuck.   Should we "relive newsreel footage of [another]
overloaded
helicopter retreating in shame from the US embassy in Baghdad" it
will be due to yet another government running amuck.  There exists a
widely held myth that this country is the greatest democracy on the
planet; it is not.  Fact is it's not a democracy at all but a
republic with a curious assortment of safeguards, which insure that
the powerful will retain power.

The extent to which we suffer stagflation and oil shock directly
results from our continued belief that we possess divine destiny,
much akin to a now deceased government that also ran amuck; in their
case they deluded themselves with a notion of a 1000 year Reich.
Seems somehow in our defeating those folks, we incorporated a good
bit of their belief that they were omnipotent.  Curious that those
most patriotic have fallen for the Department of Homeland Security;
you'll love the Gestapo!

Truth is it's not our oil, it's not our oyster and it's
about time we
relearn how to live with others; failing which our destiny is
unlikely to be all that divine.
Skip Bernstein

--- In AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com, "jerseyjohn99" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>