Jim,

I want you to know that I sincerely appreciate your passion for veteran's affairs and your continued commitment to our country.  I also appreciate the lengths you have gone to try and help Sgt. Craft transition back to life here in the states.  However, I do take issue with some of your recent comments directed at me on this list.

When I privately asked you for Sgt. Craft's email address about two months ago, I had not yet been introduced to the group IVAW, so any insinuation that I was trying to contact him regarding that group is not true.  My concern for Sgt. Craft was then as it is now.  From what you described, he was having a very difficult time and I wanted to help him if I could.  I emailed him to see if there was anything I could do to help him or his family.   He did not respond and I respected that.

Given some of the comments that have been made in your emails and "JerseyJohn's," I think I need to make yet another point of clarification.  While I enjoy both coaching and playing soccer and while I am currently producing a documentary film, my primary vocation is as a Catholic educator.  That is what I do every day.  If I am not on a campus somewhere in the country lecturing, I am in my office developing content and programming for people to educate themselves about a range of social justice issues.  If you would like to learn more about this work, I would encourage you to visit www.educatingforjustice.org

I also would like to respond to "JerseyJohn's" specific comment:

"Just when we were all wondering what this has to do with Asbury Park, the truth comes out."

My company, Educating for Justice, is based in Asbury Park.  We have, as I shared with the list in an email yesterday, made a commitment to developing some social justice programs here in the city.  One is focused on feeding the hungry, one is focused on giving public witness against the Iraq War, a war that we and many others believe is unjust.  While some on this list may not appreciate these programs, there are many people in this community who might like to take part and we wanted to offer the invitation to them.  That is what this has to do with Asbury Park.  Insinuation that it is anything else is disingenuous.

I hope this clears up any questions or misperceptions that people may have had about what I do and what my intentions are.  If you still do have questions or concerns, please feel free to email me.

Peace, Jim Keady