In a message dated 1/24/2005 12:20:25 PM Eastern Standard Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
Imagine taking 5 8th grade boys from AP and placing them there to
excel....
Or imagine bringing a high school similar to CBA to Asbury Park, but one that is much better positioned to meet the needs of our kids here.  I have already very generally started this discussion with the Society of Jesus (the Jesuits) in the Maryland Province.  My idea is to have one of the "Cristo Rey" model high schools here.  I lectured at the Jesuit's Cristo Rey High School in Chicago two years ago.  It is an amazing place.

If you want to learn more about the Cristo Rey model, here's a short blurb and the website is http://www.cristoreynetwork.org/

The Cristo Rey Networkâ is a national association of high schools that provide quality, Catholic, college preparatory education to young people from low-income families who otherwise could not afford such an opportunity. Member schools have their own identity but are characterized by a curriculum that is tailored to the students' needs and by the unique Corporate Internship Program developed in 1996 by Cristo Rey Jesuit High School of Chicago through which each student finances the majority of the cost of his or her education.

During the 2004-05 school year, 1,929 students are studying at the 11 Cristo Rey schools, which are located in Austin, Cambridge (MA), Chicago, Cleveland, Denver, Lawrence (MA), Los Angeles, New York City, Portland (OR), Tucson, and Waukegan (IL). Ninety percent of the students are of color, and their median family income is $31,847, with an average family size of four. The Cristo Rey movement has captured the excitement of Catholic educators throughout the country with 13 religious congregations managing and teaching at the 11 schools.

Peace, JWK