Title: [GayAsburyPark] Support "gay" theater tonight!

Hey gang... just want to drop a note about a theater event that's happening right here under our noses. NENA Productions is putting on The Laramie Project this weekend and next at the Jersey Shore Arts Center in Ocean Grove. I have an article on the production in this week's Coaster and also on GayAsburyPark.com.
There are a couple of local members of our community in this performance including Chris Verdi (pictured, right) of Asbury Park and my schmoopie, Will Elliott (left). You'll all remember Chris from his performance as Joshua in NENA's production of 'Corpus Christi' way back in 2003. Will has appeared with NENA in Corpus Christie and played Beadle Bamford in NENA's Production of Sweeney Todd last October.
Nick Montesano of NENA says "I hope that the community that should be seeing this sees it again to remember even if it angers them again because it can't go away." And we have an in depth interview with Nick on the website as well. Nick talks about making a commitment to seldom done unusual pieces. And talks candidly about the somewhat nonexistent support from the local gay and lesbian community and how a hate-crime might affect our little neighboring communities.
In addition to Corpus Christi and The Laramie Project, the people involved in NENA have done some other "gay" pieces including Jeffrey and The Normal Heart... that's right... you read that correctly... they did The Normal Heart in Ocean Grove! And each of those performances was a benefit for The Center in Asbury Park.
NENA's repertoire spans the gamut from "Rocky Horror Picture Show" to "Once Upon a Mattress" to Shakespeare's "Twelfth Night" to "Merrily We Roll Along."
Each performance of The Laramie Project is followed by a talk-back session with the cast and crew. And this Saturday (2/5) Romaine Patterson will be in the audience and take part in the talk-back. Romaine is a friend of Matther Shepard and was the woman who organized the "Angel Action" during Shepard's funeral to counter the hateful acts of Fred Phelps and his cohorts. Romaine currently hosts her own satellite radio program on Sirius Satellite Out Q Channel.
Tickets are just $20 and you can buy them in advance at the Starving Artist or at the door. See GayAsburyPark.com for the dates and times.