I was thinking along these lines this week with regard to the ratio
of renters to owners in AP. One of the aims should be to increase
home ownership in AP, either through affordable programs or other
ways. I have seen some recent sales of property in AP of 1-family
homes previously split into multis that I thought were going to
become 1-familes again. Lo and behold I see for rent signs up again.
While I am certainly don;t want to stand in the way of anyone making
a few bucks, I think something needs to be done to the tax system in
AP. Are 2 similar properties taxed the same here even if 1 is used
as a 1-family and the other a multi? I have heard of municipalities
on LI NY taxing the multis at higher amounts. This is especially
being done with the illegal occupancies. It would appear to me that
the same structure housing 2 or more families uses more city
resources than a similar size house having just 1 family. If this
70% ratio is about right, it would appear we have more than enough
rentals already. What the city needs is more residents to have a
financially stake (paying re taxes) in how this city operates,
looks, etc. Ownership vs rental should be encouraged, either in
existing, rehabilitation or new development.

> ok...I'll take a stab at this. From a landlord's perspective and
> from having tried to deal with this for a certificate of occupancy
> (CO).
>
> "overcrowding" -
>
> Do people want to live packed into a house? Usually, no. Many
> families would love to have that american dream - living in a nice
> home, nice area, nice yard around the corner from work and school -

> and doesn't cost them every penny and then some so they are house
> poor.
>
> For 20 years, I've rented to many people who are in "the process"
of
> buying a home. Which means trying to find a clean place  to live
so
> they may save some $ for a down payment.
>
> As far as the defintion of overcrowding - depends what country you
> come from. A real family from India may see a 1 bedroom, 1 bath
with
> a living room great for the couple and 2 small kids. But this is
NOT