All of us in private business schmooz to get new business. We just
write it off as a cost of doing business. The line of course is
drawn at bribery or payoffs however (or it should be). In the public
sector however, there can't even be the casual schmoozing. I am not
talking about a lunch, but gifts, free tickets, etc. They are on the
public dime and need to distance themselves from an appearance of
impropriety. If they don't like it, don't take the job.