Thank you Skip. I was told by knowledgeable sources in the summer of
2000 (before the Real Estate boom in Monmouth County) that if the
state was to take over Asbury Park, real estate values would
immediately explode at least 5 fold. For precisely the same reasons
you mentioned. Dropping the tax burden alone would have caused real
estate values to raise more in line with the surrounding
communities, and having several developers working on the Oceanfront
would have led to a "Oklahoma land rush" type arrangement which
would have injected millions of one-time revenues into the City's
coffers.

Incidentally, these same knowledgeable developers explained exactly
WHY Asbury would find a way to avoid allowing the State to takeover
its finances & take a look at its operating procedures. It seems
people in city government did not appreciate auditors snooping
around into how they did business, and would do ANYTHING to avoid
their practices coming out in daylight. I didn't quite understand
what they meant until Terry Weldon resigned the day the Oceanfront
agreement was signed.

--- In AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com, "Skip Bernstein" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>