I understand what your saying and I have the same concerns. We should
all have the same concerns. But right now Asbury Park schools aren't
anywhere close to where they should be. Unfortunately, too many years
were wasted by the Board of Ed members when it came to rebuilding our
schools. Your right, look at Long Branch or Neptune, they are miles
ahead of us because they were planning and acting on the opportunity
laid before them. Asbury Park missed the boat. Now we are desperately
trying to catch up.

The amount it cost to send a child to the Asbury Park school district
is more complicated than slicing the pie among all the students to
achieve an average amount, like $17,000. Before I understood the
monies, I made the same false statements too.

The truth is that Asbury Park School District has a lot of special
needs students that can not conform to the regular classroom. These
children are sent to alternative schools, out of district. These out of
district schools cost between $35,000 - $50,000 a year per student. We
have so many that are sent to these out of district schools and that's
what is costing our district so much money and bringing the average
cost per student up.

We are in the process of creating our own alternative school so we can
bring these students back into our district, closer to their home, and
far less expensive. This year we created the Alternative Middle School
and plan to expend it in the coming years.

Thanks for your vote of confidence. We are trying to do better. We are
trying to change the negative perception of our schools and our
students.

Congratulations to the newly elected BOE members. I believe with their
help and dedication, this year will prove to be an amazing one for our
schools and our students.

Robert DiSanto