I hope that groups and newspapers that have yet to endorse
candidates for the AP City Council race take a hard look at the the
current list of candidates and not take the easy way out and simply
do the safe thing by endorsing "The Future Started Here Ticket"
(with the exception of Ed Johnson). I do not beleive that Loffredo,
Sanders, Bruno or Mellina have anything useful to offer citizens in
such a position. They have had their day in the sun and many of us
feel that they should move on.

Many write off the majority of the group that actively posts here,
or offers criticisms in other mediums, as crackpots. While we may
have our idiosyncrasies, critics will find it difficult to refute
the truths we have exposed, namely, that the majority vote on the
current council has not held Asbury Partners to the spirit of the
agreement, and in fact, has let them run amok. The latest example of
this is the collapse of a portion of the ramp to the bandshell. This
is what I have recently identified as the "passive demolition" of
our historic assets by Asbury Partners through neglect and inaction.
This majority voting block continue to stand around with its
collective hands in its pockets and its mouth ajar while Asbury
Partners rides roughshod over our future.

Many of the current candidates have much to offer this city. In
particular, I am impressed by Stuart Koperweis, Ben Schneider, Jim
Keady and Ernie Cote. I beleive that Harold Suggs and Pam Lamberton
also can move this city forward better than the current council and
I have repeatedly stated here that I think Ed Johnson would be a
fine council member. His only fault that I can see is his
association on the "The Future" ticket.

Koperweis has a wealth of hands on experience in economic
development in NJ, exactly what we need in AP. Ben Schneider has
served in numerous postions in this city and is passionate about its
future. Keady will in particular be able to see through a morass of
special interests and do his best to assist this city in acheiving a
fine balance between redevelopment and social responsibility. Cote
also has many of these same fine qualities including years of
experience in public service. Pam Lamberton is a fine and decent
person and will watch over our historic assets. Harold Suggs I feel
is very intelligent and eloquent and will not let the wool be pulled
over his eyes.

That finally brings me to John Hamilton. In the short time I have
been here, I like what John has said. He has been the only voice on
the current council that has questioned the redevelopment deal and
the actions of Asbury Partners. Alone, he has been the citizens'
watchman in this regard. I will give him the benefit of the doubt
and assume him innocent until proven guilty. Absent the potential
charges against him bringing the city unfavorable attention in the
future, I see no reason to discount John's ability to make a
contribution to our city as a council member.

I challenge those yet to endorse to actually do the work and look
closely at these candidates' qualifications. You will be hard
pressed to conclude that the current council has any attributes or
accomplishments that make them a better choice for the future of AP.
Do not be blinded by the bulldozers and construction work going on
on the waterfront. Much more than that should have occurred, and
should have happened only with a larger piece of the pie going to
the city, including the restoration of our historic assets. For the
truth of that progress, look at what the city actually got in return
and the current sorry state of our waterfront buildings.