Subj: Re: [AsburyPark] Digest Number 1239
Date: 5/2/2005 10:48:16 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
To: AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com
Sent on:

Mark -
I don't see how not retaining this council will endanger the gay movement in Asbury Park.
It goes without saying that the gay community has been more of a consistent force in Asbury Park for most of the 20th and 21st centuries than in any other community on the NJ shore.
And, the people who redeveloped the downtown aren't gay. Pat and Pat are hetero. If it wasn't for their willingness to mortgage every dime they had, the gays who wanted to run stores here wouldn't have found any habitable buildings.
The only gay I'm aware of in the administration and current council is Loffredo. Kevin Sanders came under huge pressure from his christian constituency ove the gay marriage decision; and I don't recall his taking a huge stand against their complaints come to think of it. Has anyone asked him his position for the record?
I can't imagine Bruno as the enlightened cosmo man promoting the gay agenda. John Hamilton has demonstrated more gay tolerance, a sophistication he has probably acquired through his years as an artist, specifically a musician, singer and songwriter. Who does that leave? Kate? Yes, Kate is a hetero that tirelessly courted the gay community. But where were the gays in government? It would seem that we got to where we are - with a strong, active and demonstrative gay community - without the aid of a gay council. So why the concern now?
If you look at Jim Keady, he was the one who got up in the middle of the melee between the Christian Coalition and the gay community to offer to mediate their issues - FOR FREE - which earned him a cynical column from Tommy. (Sorry, Tommy but you know you've been picking on Jim for some as yet unapparent reason.)
Stuart is far too urbane and sensitive to ignore the desires of the gay community. Ben doesn't seem homophobic to me. I'm not going to try to analyze all remaining of the 19, suffice to say I don't believe the fears are based in reality.
Now about your other four votes, Mark. Why on earth would you throw them away by only voting for one person. Maybe you were being facetious. Say it ain't so...
Maureen