Didn't play ball in high school (still wish I had).  I opted for the
work release program at APHS: They let you leave at noon and obtain
class credit if you kept a full time job.  It was for kids who
weren't on a college path. Unfortunately, it disqualified you from
after school activities, too.  Was a big help though.