from the attached article ..

"The Haunted Mansion was advertised heavily in New York as the
world's largest haunted attraction.  The heavy advertising lured
crowds of up to 100,000 a week to the Long Branch boardwalk.  In
1980, Pat Cicalese bought out Carmen and Thomas Ricci's share of the
Long Branch Pier and Haunted Mansion.  Pat continued to develop and
expand the pier and mansion.  He contributes much of the mansion's
success to his excellent managers, Lil Grauman and Annie Rielley."

100,000 a week..amazing what the right attraction, with the right
promotion can do...this was on a 'traditional' boardwalk..no
shopping malls, etc

> > Then I got married.  The end.
>
> Great Photos:
> http://www.darkinthepark.com/Haunted%