Jim,
Knowing you, I take you at your word. Not race-baiting, just typing my opinion.
Opinions are like a**-holes, "everybody has one"! My opinion, however is from a
Black perspective. Yours, is from the "inside"! Now that you're there, how does
it feel? Not what you thought, huh? Then, I see you as "making a difference"
for ALL of us! You're young, energetic and eager. I just hope you don't get
blind-sided and discouraged. Thanks for the info! I needed it. I tend to listen
to others and you know who they are, and instead of investigating, make a false
statement. I stand corrected. Thank You!

Sharon Boone
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Please note: message attached

--- Begin Message --- Sharon,

I think you may have some wrong information.

1. One does not have to be a City Resident to be an employee of the City.
While I think it is great if people who work for the city live here, at the
moment that is not the policy.

2. I think you are confusing Terry Reidy, our City Manager, with Tom
Gilmour, our Commerce Director. Terry is originally from Montclair, but
moved to Asbury soon after taking the job as City Manager.  He lives on 4th
Avenue just off Grand.  Tom Gilmour lives in Rumson.

While I agree with you wholeheartedly that there is both institutional and
personal racism in Asbury Park and in the surrounding communities, this does
not give license to make statements that cannot be backed up by facts.  Race
is something that many people in our country (and in our city) do not wish
to discuss.  What makes broaching the topic even more difficult is when
people on both sides of the debate make inflammatory statements that are
simply not true.

Let me be clear and direct on this.  Do I believe that racism is alive and
well in Asbury Park?  Absolutely, and over the next four years I plan to
address it through policy, allocation of resources and programming.  Having
said this, do I believe that this particular case of not re-hiring Mr.
Jordan is driven by racism?  Absolutely not, it was about performance or
lack thereof.

While the decision to not continue Mr. Jordan's contract is the city
manager's to make because of the structure of our government, I did feel it
was my duty as an elected official to do my homework on this issue.  After
doing my research, I stand by the City Manager's decision and I would be
happy to discuss with you at length why I feel this way.  If you would like
to make an appointment, please email me at this address or leave me a
voicemail at the # below.

Peace, JWK

Councilman Jim Keady
1 Municipal Plaza