Gary said:

"But there should clearly be a plan as to which direction is
preferred right?"

There already is.  The Redevelopment Plan makes no secret that it is
overwhelmingly pointed toward residentional development, shunning
tourism.

When Duany was here he announced quite clearly that the move would be
away from tourism.

Please understand though that the goal is not to wipe out tourism.  It
will always have it.  As Dan has pointed out here, with the most
minimal of investment at the beachfront possible already the beaches
are getting crowded.

I wouldn't fear for the Pony.  It might be moved (I don't know how you
feel about that) but it will always be here.

I do agree it is a world-wide draw.  I'm in AP everyday and I have to
admit I field questions very often from people pulling over in thier
cars and asking me how to get there (camera's in hand). Also on a good
deal of cases that I have, lawyers will see my letterhead and ask me
if I can send them somehting from the Pony (I refer them to the
website usually).

http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/Y2tolB/TM