--- In AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com, "bluebishop82"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Go ask any travel agent across the country.  Monmouth County is
not on
> their radar. No one is recommending it as a vacation spot.
>
> Look at the facts: Sea Bright, Long Branch, Belmar have all
shunned
> their traditional tourism in favor of year-round economies,
joining
> neighboring towns that never were huge tourist draws like
Allenhurst,
> Avon and Spring Lake.
>
> Asbury Park will always be a local draw, as it should be.  Fishman
> doesn't want that to go away.  The day-trippers will always come
and
> there will always be entertainment and shopping for them under
this
> plan.
>
> To return to the vacation destination this place was in the 40's
and
> 50's?  Forget it. It won't happen.

Tom, I remember them saying that about Times Square. Having done the
lion's share of valuations for the redevelopment, I am quite familar
with the conditions before the redevelopment. The original plan was
to build 4 staid, grey flannel office buildings and hardly nothing
else. A real sterile office environment. Working for the property
owners, we envisioned a dynamic Times Sq filled with entertainment
and a major tourist attraction. Most of the stuff that was done
afterwards, we said should and could happen (build it and they will
come). The state said we were nuts. After the condemnations they did
exactly what we said (and we were dealing with even more complex
issues such as numerous historical and landmarked structures).
History proved us right. You can't spit in any direction from 8 AM
to midnight without hitting 50 tourists. You are not all wrong
however. No one should be a slave to history, but neither, should
anyone ignore its lessons. Change is inevitable. But the simple fact
of the matter is that communities that turn to residential use alone
(or predominately) are stuck in a never ending cycle of relying, and
ultimately raising, residential property taxes. Rich citizens,
either full or part time will help, but not that much beyond
ratables. There is no local income tax. What you need are sales and
payroll taxes, etc.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/Y2tolB/TM