> Don't weep for the old Pony owners or the old Fastlane owners.  They
> had more money than most any of us on this list will ever have and
> made a great deal of it off the backs of people they were paying
> $25/night to work.  They didn't do anything for Asbury Park, hell they
> wouldn't even spend the money for paint to clean the places up.  They
> merely leveraged the 'legend' of the town, squeezed what they could
> and left.

The guy (Walter Burns) that owns the Fastlane now just spent the last decade
fixing the club up.  His reward was that his block is scheduled for
demolition under the new plan.  Maybe the other owners were smart for
keeping their bucks close to the vest.

BTW, the early 90s had the Fastlane packed nearly every night.  That was the
last really good music scene I've seen first hand.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/Y2tolB/TM