".please let Skip know how you feel about his post below.  It isn't fair to
ask me not to do it, but say nothing to Skip and let me take it on the chin
like this when he does it.  .so I don't have to get into it with him.. 'You
are not merely a silly ass but a very strange bird.'"

The problem with Tommy, he has a love affair with words; for him the word is
the thing, it is evidence, it is fact and with this belief he can rest
peacefully.  I too love words; for me they're tools with which we attempt to
communicate, argue, express emotion and share information, but they are not
fact or evidence and are easily manipulated to trick, lie and deceive.

Words are no more than bits and pieces of language and language is where the
real action lies.

I suspect Tommy believes words to have literal and factual meaning and for
this reason believes the word to be the measure of the man.  I believe words
to have temporal meaning at best, to be and have temporary and transitory
significance and to represent only part of what we mean; I think actions
speak louder than words.

I play with words; ideas and meaning primarily because I can and secondarily
because many people manage to get so exercised over their use and abuse.
Language is loaded with mystery and magic for those of us that take or use
it literally; but language is only partially literal, is a tool set
constantly adapting and changing according to its usage and societal
pressure.

Skip Bernstein

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://JerseyShoreRocks.com