Amid the horror a bit of introspection.

"Yet, when the smoke of recrimination begins to clear, I strongly
suspect that fair-minded people will conclude that race had nothing to
do with what transpired, at least not in any explicit sense. It is a
simple fact that in the Deep South those who are poor are especially
likely to be black. It is also true--and America can take no pride in
this--that the poor almost inevitably get the worst of any deal.
Whether it is lack of access to health care, to a secure old age, to a
decent education, or to the means to flee a doomed city, the poor
routinely reap the harvest of official neglect. And that harvest is
inevitably bitter--albeit rarely as bitter as in New Orleans, where
possibly thousands died horrible deaths. So it is understandable that
many people, particularly those who see themselves as champions of the
dispossessed, are in a rage about the White House response...

It has become obvious in retrospect that it may not be the best idea
to attack a nation because we have a vague suspicion that at some
point in the future that nation may have the ability and the will to
do us harm. What is also becoming clear, however, is that unless we
can figure out a way to deal with predictable disasters, manmade or
natural, before they bite us in the neck, we will forever be figuring
out how to correct bad decisions that never should have been made in
the first place.

Many, no doubt, will seize the shortsightedness on Louisiana to talk
about everything from global warming to budgeting priorities. And that
is as it should be. For while no one expects our political leaders to
be prophets, we also shouldn't expect them to be deaf and blind. And
it may finally-tragically--be that we have a crisis large enough to
make us question why we have been so eager to reward those whose
primary skill has been their refusal to hear alarms sounding all around."
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9188642/site/newsweek/

http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/Y2tolB/TM