I highlighted names you want to remember, because I could not say it better than Ed.

"I think it's the leadership we need," Councilman Ed Johnson said. "They have great reputations, and both are respected in the community and in the department. This will add quite a bit to the city."

Asbury Park swears in new police officials

Replacing deputy chief, inspector

Posted by the Asbury Park Press on 11/22/05
BY NANCY SHIELDS
COASTAL MONMOUTH BUREAU

ASBURY PARK — Mark Kinmon and Chris Van Buren were sworn in Monday as the new Police Deputy Chief and Inspector, respectively, a move city officials say will help unite the Police Department and provide crucial leadership to improve safety and the quality of life for Asbury Park's 17,000 residents.

Kinmon, 38, who has worked his way up through the ranks since he joined the department in March 1990, is running the department as Public Safety Director Louis Jordan uses up his vacation days and officially leaves Dec. 31.

Although City Manager Terence Reidy continues his search for a new police director, Reidy and the City Council appear to want a police chief. Kinmon's promotion to the second-in-command at this juncture makes him the lead candidate for the chief's job.

"My goal is to bring stability and pride back to this agency," Kinmon said after being sworn in. "My belief is this community and city government deserve a professional, courteous and diverse police force that is capable of providing services that are expected of us — especially with a growing community and redevelopment.

"That's what I intend to deliver, and anything short of that I would consider a failure, and I do not intend to fail."

Reidy told Jordan in the summer that he did not plan to renew Jordan's contract at the end of the year. Jordan, who was hired in 2002, lost the support of many of the officers in the 80-plus-member police force, in part because of his management style. By earlier this year, Jordan lost Reidy's support after Jordan would not let Reidy coach him in helping unite the department.

Van Buren, 47 of Point Pleasant, who joined the department in 1992, said, "My heart is really in this job. This is about the men and women of the Police Department and the residents of the city of Asbury Park. I took the oath and mean it sincerely."

Kinmon will earn $104,000 a year. Van Buren's new salary was undisclosed Monday.

"This is one of the most positive things I've seen after what's happened over the years," said Sgt. Mike Jacobs, one of many police officers and county law authorities who filled the City Council chambers for the 12:30 p.m. swearing-in by Municipal Judge Mark T. Apostolou.

Kinmon, who lives in Howell, stood for his swearing-in with his wife, Karen, and their 16-year-old son, Craig. Van Buren's wife, Reenie, stood with him.

Kinmon and Van Buren "are competent, caring people, respected by the entire department and the community," Reidy said. "They have what is needed to unite this department and provide a new vision, a higher level of accountability and effectiveness in addressing the issues that affect us."

Monmouth County Prosecutor Luis Valentin said he had made a point to be there Monday for the swearing-in.

"Congratulations to these two men who have earned this promotion and lead an exemplary life in law enforcement," he said. "We want to work with you to make sure justice is served."

Kinmon is replacing Gilbert Reed, Jordan's right-hand man who was the acting deputy chief pending the outcome of a test for the job. Kinmon had been the acting inspector for the past year, and Van Buren was a lieutenant on the force.

In choosing Kinmon to replace Reed, Reidy stayed clear of those who had been fighting Jordan publicly. One of those people, Capt. Anthony Salerno, was the top scorer on the test and had made it known that he would like to be police chief.

The top three scorers on the deputy chief test were Salerno, Kinmon and Reed, Reidy said. The top scorers on the test for inspector were Salerno; Rocco Santorsola, who has since left to work for the county Prosecutor's Office; Capt. Thomas McDonald; Van Buren; and Lt. David Kelso.

Reidy publicly thanked Reed.

"Even though I didn't select Gilbert (Reed), he came and offered to support the transition. That speaks volumes," Reidy said.

"I'm a little disappointed that in 30 odd years (on the force), I didn't get it," said Reed, 59.

He said retirement is one option he is considering.

"Whatever happens, I still love this Police Department," Reed said.

"New blood, new ideas, hopefully a new direction," Deputy Mayor Jim Bruno said.

"I think it's the leadership we need," Councilman Ed Johnson said. "They have great reputations, and both are respected in the community and in the department. This will add quite a bit to the city."

YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS