The problem with "schools" within schools (your example of a charter
school), while a good idea, leaves with the idea that the "best and
brightest" will be educated, while the rest will be left in "the
system". While I know you don't mean that, that is the impression.
Just like the county "speciality" schools -which are not open to
everyone (only the best and brightest) leaves many other
intelligent, capable kids out of that learning experience. Many of
these kids get left in the "program" with a generic education. One
of the larger problems, is the out of control kids and teachers who
have no recourse to mange these kids - thus impacting the education
of others.

You have to have the ability to remove the disruptive and give
teachers back the power to educate, not babysit. You don't need any
studies for that. I've been begging for my daughter to be removed
from her French class in Ocean Twp - as the kids are out of control
and the teacher cannot do a thing. Today was D-day.

Give the power back to the teacher to teach.