> The problem with "schools" within schools (your example of a
charter
> school), while a good idea, leaves with the idea that the "best and
> brightest" will be educated, while the rest will be left in "the
> system". While I know you don't mean that, that is the impression.
> Just like the county "speciality" schools -which are not open to
> everyone (only the best and brightest) leaves many other
> intelligent, capable kids out of that learning experience. Many of
> these kids get left in the "program" with a generic education. One
> of the larger problems, is the out of control kids and teachers who
> have no recourse to mange these kids - thus impacting the education
> of others.
> Give the power back to the teacher to teach.

     I really don't think I disagree with anything you've said, Dan.
The idea is not to exclude anyone, just have an alternative set of
rules that may be attractive to some parents.  For example, if the
BOE wanted one of the schools to have uniforms as a rule, it would
have to be a charter-type school.  If we wanted a performing arts
program, and could not afford to have four such programs for each of
the elementary schools, it would make sense to have that as a magnet
program in one of the buildings.  The fact that the Middle School is
a couple of hundred feet from an elementary school would make it
reasonable that one is a neighborhood school, while the other is
community-wide.  But I do not think a community-wide school is
exclusionary.  On the contrary, it would be wide open to everyone for
whom the rules make their education more conducive.  It's
egalitarian, and not exclusionary, in my view.
                                     Frank D'Alessandro