At 12:54 PM +0000 2/15/06, dfsavgny wrote:

>In a meeting last March with Aaron and Reidy, Aaron told me he bills
>half his rate and charges $175/hour. He told me in the context that
>even at this reduced rate it is like trying to get blood from a
>stone to get Fishman to pay, since it is Asbury Partners that is
>obligated to pay him.

It's funny he would say that...

Jim Aaron has no contract with Asbury Partners. (He better not!) He only has a
contract with the city. His invoices are presented to the city and it is the
city that must approve and pay them. The city is the entity that has an
arrangement with Asbury Partners to reimburse it (the city) for these expenses.
The city maintains an escrow account in which Asbury Partners is required to
keep sufficient funds from which the city can withdraw to pay Mr. Aaron. It may
be that either Asbury Partners is slow to replenish the funds, or it may be
that the city is slow to ask for replenishment. In either case, if the funds
are not in the escrow account, the city can't make the disbursement(s).

Same thing happens for payments to professionals of the Zoning and Planning
board as well as payments for UEZ expenses. If the entity that is responsible
for bringing the funds to the city for disbursement is lagging, the
disbursement can't be made.

BTW... the bill list is not a list of bills that will be "paid." It is a list
of bills that have been presented to the city requesting payment and for which
the CFO and City Manager have audited and found to be correct. Assuming that
the Council approves each payment on the list, it will only be paid when/if
"the City Treasury shall permit." In other words, in Mr. Aaron's case, the
invoice might be approved tonight because it is on the "bill list" but it won't
be paid until sufficient funds are in the appropriate escrow account.