When I firs worked at US LIFE in the city, I recall I went to the supply room.
I had to sign
out for 2 pencils.
A year later, as I got the department up and running, I need software. I'll age
myself. I
wanted Lotus. It was around $600.  The approval had to go up to the president
of the co.

Coming from Merrill, it was a wake up call. But I knew it going in.
Interviewing at the
Berkley, I met with the Div VP, I asked him "what do you do with computers
here?" He siad
nothing. I asked him for the job. the carpets in their orginal office was taped
 together,
files all over the place. A nightmare.

I took the job, left Merrill.  The assistant, private office, nice desk, cool
toys, good looking
women.

why? Money. It impressed me. the fringe? I had a job.

The interview for City Manager should be...
1. Do you need a job?
2. would you take $120 year, plus
3. Would you be willing to drive your own car, think of it as a personal
extension of
yourself and your family and your career.
4. If we give you a city car, do you mind if we wrap it ads or a big city logo,
so when you
drive it home, it promotes asbury?