Chris,
I would prefer a flat sales tax over income tax.  This way everyone
pays  into our society.  You consume, you pay.  A family will pay more
toward school tax this way due to food consumption, clothing and such
than a single man or woman making the same wages (unless they are
spend-a-holics).  Elderly would beneift this way too.

People that are paid off the books or make unreported tips would be
taxed more fairly.  Even illegal immigrants would be paying their fare
share of taxes.
Tom