If memory serves, I believe a couple of the things that Guiliani
implemented when he first became Mayor of NY are things that
should/would help here as well.

First was the revitalization of the cities biggest tourist
attraction - Time Square - which drove significant controversy at
the time about both the "disneyification" of 42nd street and the
ability of the city to enforce it's will on the
existing "establishments".  There is no question to anyone who saw
what was there and what is there now that the city would have never
bounced back like it did without doing this.  Very similar to our
waterfront.  While some progress has been made, it is more critical
than ever that a holistic plan be put in place that articulates a
vision.  Not just surface platitides as we've too often seen to date
but real vision with real backers who can get it done while driving
investor confidence.  For NYC - it was Disney's involvement that
made this more than just political words - people believed Disney
would do it even if they believed the city would not.  As with NYC,
we will not all agree with the plan and that's ok (or nothing would
ever get done).  But the time has past for the Fish playing his
cards close to the vest.  We need a clear strategy, solid partners
with resources and an accountable timeline that establishes
confidence - critically important given the state and history of the
town, the questionable economy and the track record of missed
commitments and information "black hole" associated with Asbury
Partners.

P.S.  before I get killed here I AM NOT ADVOCATING that Disney come
in here and turn AP into the Mickey Mouse Club...

Second was the heavy focus on "petty" quality of life crimes.  At
the time the police went nuts - saying this was a waste of time and
a distraction from their real job of chasing real criminals.  What
they found of course is that many of those they stopped for litter,
jaywalking, street prostitution, squeegying, etc., were in fact the
real criminals taking a break from heavy duty crime.  By stopping
people for seemingly minor offenses they often found oustanding
warrants and other things that took criminals off the streets before
they could commit another major crime.  Again, a similar situation
here.  Enforce the letter of the law, clean it up and send a message
at the same time.  I wonder if a real heavy law-enforcement push on
quality of life offenses would also be the best thing that could be
done to improve the schools as well.  Creating an overall safe and
secure environment while cleaning out the gangs would in my opinion
do more than any traditioanl educational initiative to improve the
schools.

Sorry for the rant...

--- In AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com, "arhythmick" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> ,
wrote:

> I agree about the smaller infractions but what in the world is
Asbury
> Park doing or going to do about the violent crime in the city?  It
seems
> that the residents just take it in stride or are getting immune to
it
> (hope not!)...but are people from outside Asbury going to buy
these new
> condos before the crime is better under control?
>

> --- In AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com, "fredrmr" <firemer@> wrote:
> >
> > --- In AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com, "radio881gal" restore881FM@
> > wrote:
> > >
> > > Gunshots and a slew of police cruisers in north east part of
the
> city
> > > tonight. Sunday night between 11 and 11:30 PM.
> > > Saw two guys cuffed standing with the cops by a cruiser.
> > > Maureen
> > > Asbury Radio at your service
> > >
> > In order to make Asbury a better place to live, we must also
enforce
> > the smaller violations before letting them get out of hand. The
> > cyclists have taken over the boardwalk by speeding and
intimidating