--- In AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com, "asburycouple" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hey Werner.  No worries.  I really do respect your knowledge and value
> the historical perspective you bring to this board.  My comment was not
> directed toward your knowledge of the past history of this city but an
> at-times apparent unwillingness to accept others points of view about
> the future of it that comes off in writing a bit condesending.

Thank you, It is difficult to to remain level when so many errors in
redevelopment are
made that could have been avoided. Unfortunately, redevelopment is not about
opinions
or points of view, it is about repairing a damaged community and doing what is
in the best
interests of the public. Historical perspective just helps make better
decissions by avoiding
past failures and embracing past successes.

> Preserving the proud history of Asbury Park is important and should be
> a guide to the future (and has been grossly neglected in our current
> efforts), but it is not the only consideration.  Everyone has a right
> to their opinions about the future and sometimes they might even be
> right, even if through the lens of an historical perspective of our
> past they might not seem so.

'Grossly neglected' is an understatement. Yes, history is not everything.
However,
economics, public rights, community character, etc are all related to the local
history and
in the case of AP that history and economic potential is much more significant
than other
redevelopment areas.

The lens to use is - What is the best thing to do, that will benefit the most,
with the least
effort, while preserving what is significant. When measured against those goals
the current
path is seriously flawed.

> PS.  My name is Scott - nice to meet you.

Hello Scott

Werner