In reference to ridkid004's comment:
the riots did make it over to the east side...all the buildings
where the train station is were burned...
I'm using Main St. to divide east from west.  My main point (mission?) is to combat the common notion that the rioting was citywide and "led to the  town going down the tubes because people were afraid of living  there."

I was living at 213 Lake Ave (over Corrubia's Restaurant) at the time:  I do remember most of the businesses on Cookman boarding up their windows but don't recall any actual destruction occurring east of Main St.

My secondary point is that Asbury Park had already been in decline as a tourist destination for several years before 1970.  Although the "circuit" and the rock music clubs were still popular with young people, the business district was steadally falling victim to the mall exodus; moreover, because of unimaginative management, the boardwalk itself was not considered as cool, hip or cutting-edge (or "groovey" lol) an attraction for entertainment or hanging out as were other seaside towns.

Again from the Salon article:  "By the 1960s, ... even the city's tourism had dropped off,
leaving  Asbury Park a nostalgia trip of a beach town, with calliopes, fortune-
tellers  and  carousels lining its beat-up boardwalk."

The phrase "nostalgia trip" back then  had none of the positive connotation that "quaint seaside resort" might have today.

Relevance for today?  I hope Asbury's renaissance doesn't fall victim again to unimaginative and uncreative planners who always seem to "just miss" what the trends are indicating....

Asbury park nj real estate United state flag Asbury park nj
Asbury park real estate United state travel